Baan Kang Wat is a charming little artist village located just outside of Chiang Mai’s old historical town. It is situated at the base of Doi Suthep mountain, making it an ideal destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The village is home to a thriving community of artists and craftspeople, whose work can be found in the many shops and galleries that line the streets.
Every Sunday, Baan Kang Wat hosts an open market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. This is the perfect opportunity to experience the village’s vibrant culture and pick up some unique souvenirs to take home. Visitors can browse through a variety of handicrafts, including pottery, textiles, and jewelry, as well as sample delicious local food and drinks.
Aside from the market, Baan Kang Wat is open to visitors every day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The village is a great place to spend an afternoon exploring, with its winding streets and charming cafes. Whether you’re an art lover or just looking for a peaceful retreat from the city, Baan Kang Wat is definitely worth a visit.
Location and History
Baan Kang Wat is a charming little artist village located just outside Chiang Mai’s old historical town. It is nestled at the base of Doi Suthep mountain, which is not too far from Wat Ram Poeng Temple. The village is a beautiful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, and it is a perfect destination for those who want to explore the local culture and art scene.
Baan Kang Wat was founded in 2012 by a group of artists who wanted to create a space where they could live, work, and showcase their art. They chose the location because of its natural beauty and peaceful atmosphere. The artists built their own homes and studios, and over time, the village grew to include a variety of shops, galleries, and cafes.
One of the unique features of Baan Kang Wat is its commitment to sustainability. The village is powered by solar energy, and the buildings are constructed using natural materials such as bamboo and mud bricks. The artists also use recycled materials in their art, and many of the shops sell eco-friendly products.
Today, Baan Kang Wat is a thriving community of artists, artisans, and entrepreneurs. The village is known for its vibrant arts scene, and it attracts visitors from all over the world who come to explore its galleries, shops, and cafes. Every Sunday, the village hosts an open market where visitors can browse handmade crafts, sample local food, and listen to live music.
In summary, Baan Kang Wat is a unique and inspiring destination that offers a glimpse into the creative spirit of Chiang Mai. Its location at the base of Doi Suthep mountain and commitment to sustainability make it a must-visit destination for anyone interested in art, culture, and nature.
Baan Kang Wat is a charming little artist village located just outside Chiang Mai’s old historical town at the base of Doi Suthep mountain. The village is a unique and charming place to visit, with a variety of attractions and things to do. Here are some of the top attractions to check out during your visit:
Baan Kang Wat is home to several art galleries showcasing the work of local artists. The galleries feature a variety of art styles, including contemporary, traditional, and experimental. Visitors can browse the galleries to see the latest works by local artists and purchase unique pieces to take home as souvenirs.
If you’re looking for unique handmade crafts, Baan Kang Wat is the perfect place to visit. The village is home to several craft shops that sell a variety of handmade items, including ceramics, wood carvings, textiles, and more. Visitors can watch local artisans at work and purchase one-of-a-kind items to take home.
Baan Kang Wat is also home to several restaurants serving up delicious Thai cuisine. Visitors can enjoy traditional dishes like pad thai, green curry, and tom yum soup, as well as more unique dishes like khao soi. The restaurants in Baan Kang Wat offer a cozy and intimate dining experience, with many featuring outdoor seating areas surrounded by lush greenery.
Overall, Baan Kang Wat is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in art, crafts, and delicious Thai cuisine. Whether you’re looking to browse art galleries, shop for handmade crafts, or enjoy a delicious meal, Baan Kang Wat has something for everyone.
Baan Kang Wat is a great place to learn new skills and engage in activities that promote wellness and creativity. Here are some of the activities you can participate in:
Baan Kang Wat is an artisan village, and there are plenty of opportunities to learn from local craftsmen. You can take a workshop on woodworking, pottery, or weaving, and learn about traditional Thai techniques. Many workshops offer hands-on instruction, so you can create your own unique piece to take home. Some popular workshops include:
- The Wood Shop: Learn how to make wooden spoons, bowls, and other kitchen utensils.
- The Pottery Studio: Create your own ceramics using a pottery wheel or hand-building techniques.
- The Weaving Studio: Learn how to weave using traditional Thai techniques and create your own scarf or wall hanging.
Thai cuisine is famous for its bold flavors and fresh ingredients, and Baan Kang Wat is a great place to learn how to cook traditional dishes. Many cooking classes take place in outdoor kitchens, so you can enjoy the beautiful surroundings while you learn. Some popular classes include:
- Thai Street Food: Learn how to make popular street food dishes like pad Thai, som tam, and mango sticky rice.
- Vegetarian Thai: Discover how to make delicious vegetarian versions of classic Thai dishes.
- Northern Thai Cuisine: Explore the unique flavors of Northern Thai cuisine, including spicy curries and noodle dishes.
Yoga and Meditation
Baan Kang Wat is also a great place to practice yoga and meditation. Many classes take place in outdoor spaces, so you can connect with nature while you practice. Some popular classes include:
- Sunrise Yoga: Start your day with a relaxing yoga practice as the sun rises over the mountains.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Learn how to cultivate mindfulness and reduce stress through guided meditation.
- Restorative Yoga: Relax and rejuvenate with a gentle yoga practice that focuses on deep relaxation and stress relief.
No matter what activity you choose, you’re sure to have a memorable experience at Baan Kang Wat.
If you’re planning a visit to Baan Kang Wat, you’ll be pleased to know that there are several accommodation options available to suit every budget and taste. From budget-friendly hostels to luxurious boutique guesthouses, you’ll find something that fits your needs.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and convenient place to stay, there are several hotels in the area that offer great amenities and services. Some popular options include:
- Briza Hotel Chiangmai: Located just 6 km from Baan Kang Wat, this hotel features spacious rooms, an outdoor pool, and a fitness center.
- Pingviman Hotel: This 4-star hotel is located 4 km from Baan Kang Wat and offers guests a range of amenities, including a restaurant, outdoor pool, and spa services.
- ISTY Hotel: This hotel is located 4 km from Baan Kang Wat and features comfortable rooms, an outdoor pool, and a fitness center.
If you’re on a budget, hostels can be a great option for affordable accommodation. There are several hostels located near Baan Kang Wat, including:
- The Living Place 2: This hostel is located just 1 km from Baan Kang Wat and offers guests comfortable dormitory-style rooms.
- The Living Place 3: This hostel is located 1.5 km from Baan Kang Wat and offers guests private rooms and dormitory-style rooms.
- The Living Place 4: This hostel is located 2 km from Baan Kang Wat and offers guests private rooms and dormitory-style rooms.
For a more unique and luxurious experience, boutique guesthouses are a great option. Some popular guesthouses near Baan Kang Wat include:
- The Opium Chiang Mai: This guesthouse is located 5 km from Baan Kang Wat and features beautifully decorated rooms, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant.
- Baan Chantra: This guesthouse is located 3 km from Baan Kang Wat and features spacious rooms, a garden, and a restaurant serving Thai and international cuisine.
- Baan Boo Loo Village: This guesthouse is located 4 km from Baan Kang Wat and features traditional Thai-style rooms, a garden, and a restaurant serving Thai and international cuisine.
No matter what your budget or preferences, you’re sure to find the perfect accommodation for your stay near Baan Kang Wat.
When it comes to getting to and around Baan Kang Wat, there are a few options available to visitors. In this section, we’ll cover the different modes of transportation you can use to reach and explore this charming artist village.
Baan Kang Wat is located about 15 minutes south of Chiang Mai’s Old City, making it relatively easy to reach. Here are some of the most popular ways to get there:
Tuk-tuk: Tuk-tuks are a popular mode of transportation in Chiang Mai, and you can easily flag one down to take you to Baan Kang Wat. Expect to pay around 150-200 baht for a one-way trip.
Songthaew: Songthaews are red trucks with benches in the back that are used as shared taxis in Chiang Mai. You can catch one from the city center and expect to pay around 30 baht per person.
Private car or motorbike: If you have your own transportation, you can easily drive or ride a motorbike to Baan Kang Wat. There is a parking lot available for visitors.
Once you arrive at Baan Kang Wat, the village is small enough to explore on foot. However, if you want to venture further afield or are carrying heavy purchases, you may want to consider the following options:
Bicycle rental: There are several places in the village where you can rent a bicycle for the day. This is a great option if you want to explore the surrounding countryside or nearby attractions like Wat Umong.
Motorbike rental: If you’re comfortable riding a motorbike, you can rent one from a shop in Chiang Mai and ride it to Baan Kang Wat. Just be sure to wear a helmet and exercise caution on the road.
Tuk-tuk or songthaew: If you need to travel outside of the village, you can hire a tuk-tuk or songthaew to take you to your destination. Negotiate the price beforehand and make sure you’re clear on the route and any additional stops you want to make.
Overall, getting to and around Baan Kang Wat is relatively easy, thanks to the variety of transportation options available to visitors. Whether you choose to take a tuk-tuk, rent a bicycle, or explore on foot, you’re sure to enjoy the village’s unique charm and artistic atmosphere.